Thursday, July 3, 2008

Portraiture



I've been getting maybe one or two requests a day for portraits, which is flattering and also kind of weird and scary. Because what if it looks nothing like them! Or, worse, what if it looks exactly like them and they just happen to not be that good looking? Either way, art is kind of a novelty to most people and I'm just glad to be given something to do.

The union I'm interning with is the Clothing, Clerical, and Retail General Union (http://www.hkccrgu.org/), which is a part of the Hong Kong Confederation of Trade Unions (http://www.hkctu.org.hk/), the only independent confederation of trade unions in Hong Kong (other federations, for example, are pro-Beijing or pro-something else, and so have political liaisons and responsibilities to other entities than workers). The two portraits are of womyn involved with and working at the union.

I've only been here a little over a week but I'm really enjoying my time. So far, I've been lucky to attend the annual July 1 pro-democracy march, which had over 47,000 participants this year, as well as help at an international conference of sportswear brands and suppliers meeting with trade unions and NGOs (non-governmental organizations) on decent work in the industry, the first time such a meeting has occurred. I've also eaten a lot of free food.

Kind of Like Spitting - Title Track (Death Cab cover)

No comments: