Thursday, February 14, 2008

V-Day


I don't exactly remember what I was doing last year, but it probably wasn't G-chatting while writing a midterm. G-chat didn't exist yet. Maybe I was writing a paper. Probably MMW. I'm glad that chapter of my life is over.

I do know that last year was one of the most difficult years of my life, physically, spiritually, emotionally, and mentally. Just one year later, I am at my best, when not so long ago, I was at my worst.

A lot of my growth and healing came from me. Don't anyone doubt the intensity of self-love and care, and also the care and love of my friends and family, that have brought me to the place I am. A lot went into becoming the person I am today, someone who was ready to stand strong and alone, and thus, was ready to come into this relationship.

I can honestly say that of all my treasured relationships, none have made me feel as fulfilled, as whole, and as loved as my relationship with one David Morihiro. When we first met, I didn't want to admit the attraction. In the months after, it became more and more difficult to deny that this attraction was not just physical, but mental, intellectual, spiritual, and emotional. The time we've spent together means so much to me, and the time we spend apart only intensifies and strengthens what we've worked for, in terms of a healthy, whole, healing, and loving relationship.

Valentine's Day is kind of a stupid, materialistic, and commercial holiday, yes. But I like the idea of a day devoted to love. Whether or not romantic love should be the focus is debatable; regardless, I'm excited and happy to know that I will be able to spend it with someone that I care about so deeply.

And in a more progressive spirit of things, remember to check out your nearby production of the Vagina Monologues. All proceeds go to the V-Day campaign (which I think this year is victims of Hurricane Katrina) in some capacity; I know at UCSD, 90% of the money raised from tickets is staying in San Diego, to support womyn's issues in the area in addition to those suffering elsewhere in the country.

Happy Love Day, everyone, aka Grace Young and Chris Yamashiro. The two of you also mean the world to me.

Love, Doro

No comments: